Contains Xylitol (0.59g per piece of gum). Does NOT contain lactose, sucrose, saccharin, aspartame or gluten.
NEW Nicorette Gum 2mg Icy Mint improves teeth whiteness while helping you quit smoking! Nicorette Gum 2mg Icy Mint has replaced Nicorette Gum 2mg Freshmint which is now unavailable.
Nicorette Gum is a very popular and effective form of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT). It helps the smoker overcome their dependence on nicotine over time by providing another source of nicotine, one that is less hazardous to their health than smoking. It is certainly less harmful absorbing the nicotine in this way than it is smoking tobacco and inhaling the nicotine along with the other more than 4000 chemicals contained in cigarettes at the same time.
The amount of Nicorette Gum that you use depends on how severe your smoking habit is. As a general rule, it is recommended that you do not use more than 24 pieces of gum daily. For some people taking a piece of Nicorette Gum when the urge to smoke emerges is the best method and usually results in around 12 pieces of gum being adequate for daily use. For others it is best to have a regular schedule of use to help prevent nicotine cravings in advance. Think of it as being like dehydration. By the time you feel thirsty your body is often already dehydrated. By using Nicorette Gum only in response to the urge to smoke some people fail to keep the level of nicotine in their bloodstream high enough to stave off the withdrawal symptoms.
The recommended minimum length of treatment is three months. This 3 month period will give you a chance to overcome your dependence on cigarettes and gives you the important assistance you need over this crucial period when quitting is most difficult.
- For the first 6 weeks, Weeks 1-6, you are to take one piece of Nicorette Gum every 1 to 2 hours. In the next three week period, Weeks 7-9, you would only take one piece of gum every 2 to 4 hours. Over the last three week period of the programme, Weeks 10-12, you would take only one piece of Nicorette Gum every 4 to 8 hours. From then on you can gradually reduce the amount of gum taken each day until you feel ready to stop the treatment. Should you ever feel like having a cigarette you can have a piece of Nicorette Gum and avoid relapsing into the habit of smoking.
- Nicorette Gum 2mg Icymint is recommended for those who smoke less than 20 cigarettes a day.
Warnings and Cautions
- Nicorette Gum 2mg Icymint should not be given to children. All forms of nicotine should be avoided in pregnancy. Smokers who wear dentures may find it hard to chew Nicorette.
- Patients with gastritis, peptic ulcer, angina or who have had coronary heart disease should discuss this with their doctor before using Nicorette Gum 2mg Icymint.
- Nicorette Gum 2mg Icymint in the dose recommended, has not been found to produce any serious adverse effects in healthy people. Nicotine from the gum can occasionally cause slight irritation of the throat at the start of the treatment, and may also cause increased salivation. Excessive swallowing of nicotine-containing saliva may cause hiccuping. Those with a tendency to indigestion may suffer initially may suffer from mild indigestion or heart burn, especially if the 4mg is used. Slower chewing and the use of the 2mg gum (if necessary more frequently) will usually help overcome problems such as throat irritation or hiccups.
Nicorette is made by Pharmacia AB, Sweden and is distributed by Pharmacia, Auckland, NZ.